Sunday, June 9, 2013

Distressing using two bright colors

Ive been  wanting to make a piece that looks distressed as if I were using the sanding and staining technique, but I wanted to use two bright colors. So I decided to trybthevwaxing technique. Now here's a little advice I have learned from trying this out and failing at first. 
BE VERY CARGUL HOW MUCH WAX YOU ARE APPLYING ANDVWHERE. 
At first I used way too much wax and when I went to sand off the top coats it was coming off everywhere. So I had to sand the piece down again and paint the green which is the color I wanted to show through them I just lightly waxed edges and a few spot elsewhere. Truthfully I am not a fan of the waxing technique, except that when it comes out right it looks amazing. I probably just need a bit more practice and focus more on where I am applying the wax. 
The green you see underneath is the color I started with and then waxed then put the teal on top. You only have to lightly sand from there and when you hit a a spot with wax the paint will start to peel off. Just keep sanding around that area till you are sure you've taken all the paint that's on top of the wax off, because it will just keep peeling away if you don't. 

After sanding to get the green to show through I did a stencil on some parts and lightly distressed the stencil. 

If you notice that some of the green is actually overlapping the stencil this is because I hadn't got all the wax and the paint started peeling away. 

This is the cover of the desk. I think I have posted this before, and I really like the way it came out the first time, but of course I realized when I went to put it on that I did the stencil upside down. Ugh :/ of course I only do this with stencils when you can tell that the stencil is upside down and not when it is just a design lol. 

I left the drawer painted the green I used first and stenciled the same stencil, but used the teal color this time. Right now I am in the process of spraying the metal handles a white to accent the white stencil parts. And then it will be down. Check back later today and hopefully I will be posting the finished product. :) 
Thanks, Cahley
The finished product. 


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment