Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Painting tip of the day!

So first off...  i have been trying to post uaing new pictures i take with my phone, but for some reason when I go to post pictures it never has the new ones on there. So for now i will post this and hopefully digure out how to add some pictures later.
...I figured it out...ok maybe not. Ill do another post with all the pictures of this project in the works.

So my fiancé tapped off the edges of the new project that I am working on like a mad woman...and since I am a paint first think later type (which isn't a good idea FYI) I had painted it a teal color which was just not right for the other colors I....well my daughter wanted me to use. I painted it again and then again, because it needed two coats to cover the mermaid tail green.


I got this bunk bed for my four year old little princess. It's one of those bunk beds with the bed on top and the bottom sides are a desk and a dresser. It's gonna save so much space and hopefully get her to want to sleep in her own bed at night. Well she told me that she wanted to top pink and the bottom purple. I wanted to try and use three colors, which is where the teal came in, but when I did a little test piece of wood I hated the way the teal went with pretty much any color, especially the pink and purple quarts I had already bought. So I tried to see about making it more of an aqua color with some hints of lime green, because I really loved the way the pink looked like next to this green that I already had. It's called asparagus by bear paint, but I have no idea where they came up with that name because its more of a lime green than anything. I'm pretty much obsessed with this color. I have painted two houses with in and now her bed, which is pretty funny since I am not the type to like the same thing twice never mind three times.... Well four if you count the shelves I want to try it on and distress them with blues and blacks (maybe).

Anyway: The painting tip is that if you are going to be masking with tape make sure you take the tape off before the thing has completely dried. Especially if you have three coats of paint over it.  
When I went to take the tape off it was so stuck that some of it peeled parts of the tape off and other parts of the tape wouldn't come off at all and I had to whip out the scraper to get anthem which in some parts I nicked the painted parts that didn't need reprinting and in others I scraped too hard and took off some wood.

So after sanding lightly and painting again. I am now waiting to paint one more coat and hopefully be done with that part.

I've been working on the drawers which have been coming out really cool. Driving me lightly mad but they are cool. The dresser part has 6 drawers and 3 shelves.  I'm going crazy because at first I was just gonna go crazy with pink purple black and white and have every drawer be different, but when I did the black and white striped drawer and the black and white clock drawer they were just too cool so now I have to figure out how to arrange then and make all the drawers for both the desk and dresser look like they at least somewhat belong to the same piece of furniture.

So far my idea is to do the six draws every other one being the black and white strip and the ones in between being the black with the white clock. Then the 3 drawers to the desk.... Since I had already done one drawer black and pink striped and it came out too cool to paint over, I'm gonna do the black and pink stripe in the middle with pink drawers and white clocks on the top and bottom. I would have done more of the black and white stripes,  but I think that I am going to do the top of her desk in large black and white stripes.

Then in these little inlets my dad is going to cut some thin wood to fit and I am going to use some diamond black and white patterned wallpaper on them instead of painting the diamond print myself.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment