Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My very first project

This was technically my first go at distressing something. It was an old wood dresser my fiancĂ© had brought with him when he moved it. I was trying to turn it into an antique looking distressed piece, but it wasn't coming out right and I probably painted it and sanded it and stained it over and over again. 

It then sat in the back yard with some clear plastic over the top(that's what your seeing on the top and sides of it).  Yesterday I had some time cause the projects I wanted to painted were still in drying time for the holes that I filled. So I decided to take the stencil I have had since the start of this new hobbie of mine...so like 2 months ago lol...I used a mauve color sample I had bought in the beginning as well as just went at it. 

Since I really didn't care about this project at orat anyway and it was so many different colors anyway I wasn't too careful web I started doing the stencil (well the first stencil I was carful) then I realized that it didn't have to look perfect and actually looked better that way. So I just went at it with a small sponge roller. Half the time not even taping the stencil on and just holding it which let me tell you was a pain in the but because it kept moving and it was really windy so I would sugget tapping it....but I'm lazy and it worked. Lol
This dresser doesn't have any handles. It's the type that has the groove under the drawer to pull it out, but I think it will look so much better with some handles. Now I just gotta figure out which type. Do I want one long in the middle or two small on each drawer. And what color? Since there are so many I want to use the darker shade that is in there but usually the dark handles that I find are gold and I don't want gold. There is this completely trashed dresser I bought at a garage sale for $5 thinking I would fix it up, but it is missing one large drawer and one small. If it was just the large drawers that would be something, because I could make a shelve out of it or something. But it really is a p.o.s. when we moved it things would be cracking off and the whole thing feels like it is going to collapse at any moment. So I think I will take the hardware off which is nice simple vintage and put that to good use. 

It's funny the things you learn as you go though.  I was starting a collection of any antique looking hardware that I would fine cheap at the restore, only to figure out that the space between the handles where they get screwed in are all different.  And my dad, aka Mr. Fix it, said that most are always going to be four inches.  Well that maybe true for normal handles, but back in the day apparently hey thought 3" was the way to go. It works fine for this one since I have to drill holes for the handles anyway, but the other piece i am working on has some seriously ugly and unsalable 80's gold handles that are all 4" apart and I painted 3 coats before thinking of that so I could fill the plea and paint again UGH! Or just go fine some cute 4" ones. I'm going with finding some new handles. :$

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment