Saturday, September 26, 2015

New York themed French bedroom set

Black and White Vintage New York theme French bedroom set 


After doing the New York table my manager at my real job lol saw it and said that he is 40 and has never had a bedroom set before. He saw the pictures of the bedroom makeover I did for Kerri and said I want do you have a set like the French ones that you can paint like the New York table and it just so happened that I had literally picked it up that morning before work. So before I could even post a picture it was sold. 

It took us a while to come up with the images for the top because they had to be high enough resolution and he wanted a certain baseball field. We never did find the right field in the right size but instead we found a pretty cool baseball player hitting a home run. So we used that and some other vintage images of New York. 



I painted them grey...a grey I made with a bunch of left over greys and blacks. Painted the drawers white and top black just around the edges. Make sure you get the back edge just incase the image is a little smaller or like me when your gluing it down it isn't quite right. Also there was a bubble in the dresser that layer down after a couple hours and when I clear coated came back up and layer back down so don't worry if that happens to you just try not to rip or tear the paper because there really is no going back from that. I used regular mod podge and an old library card to push it on. Then made sure all the edges were good before clear coating. Oh another thing....sorry I didn't take pictures of this I was too excited to get the images on there, but to make it fit a curvy dresser like this I took some of my mis prints and turned the dresser upside down on top of them and drew a template. I ended up just using half the template so that if a curve was too big or too small it would be the same on both sides. Use your template to cut the real thing.



I used wax on the drawers because I have turely found that clear coats on white just don't work out for me. There is always dust or something in it. Wax was easier to work with and made it very smooth but the highest shin your going to achieve is going to be satin. I clear coated the grey areas with poly satin and all the black details were done with a sharpie paint marker....ADVICE! Use the oil based and not the water based because the water based bled when I added the poly. You can also just use regular paint and a paint brush have plenty of q-tips around to wipe the areas you go over and if you are using the oil based wipe it off QUICKLY or it's not coming off. And there we go. 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment