Friday, September 4, 2015

Image Transfer on old French dresser

This dresser was in some serious bad shape and with the amount of layers of paint on it I was not about to sand it all off, so instead I sanded what I could and decided that I would do an image transfer on the front to disguise all the imperfections on the front.  For the sides we used a skim coat, which you are supposed to use on walls when you are plastering to give it a nice smooth surface.  It worked wonders.....And it was so easy to sand off the plaster coating.
The before 

The after 


So I painted with a cream color paint and then I researched and researched and researched how to transfer an image onto furniture.  There were so many different ways and the way I wanted to do it was with paint thinner and you rub the image onto the surface, then go over with a sharpie or paint...kinda like tracing.  But every place I saw said to use a laser print and that it will only work with a laser print......well I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I went to kinkos which only does laser prints and the transfer method never worked.  It did however work when I used a print from my old printer, which I can't find the cord for so that was worthless.

Here's the image I used:

SO I found the mod podge method, which is time consuming and comes out looking very antique looking.  I liked the look it is just a lot of work.  You take an enlarged inverse of a print and glue it face down.  Then after it has had at least 6-8 hours to dry you get it wet and rub away the paper.  Sometimes more than you want comes off, but since I am going with an antique look it's not too bad. I am just working on perfecting where the papers meet since instead of paying kinks $60 for enlarged print I went to BlockPosters.com and it prints it out on several sheets for you.



A bit of advice double and triple check that you are putting the paper on the right way and in the right spot, because it is a pain in the butt to get the paper off if you do it wrong....which I DID.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I'm going to try both methods on some bottles first before attempting my dresser. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. Makes my day when I get a comment. It tells me I'm not just writing this stuff for nothing lol. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to know where to get any certain images.

    ReplyDelete