Thursday, July 11, 2013

New distressing vintage look without stain using stencils and paint.

When I first started distressing. I felt that you could really achieve a cohesive look with out the use of stain, but this project and the small little cottage chic side table I didn't use stain and they both came out beautiful. 
The benefit of not using the stain is that it doesn't change the color of the paint that you have going....the downfall in my opinion is that you don't get the mixture of color like you do when you do use stain. 
This piece was painted with natural linen and the drawers were painted in awhite primer and then willow blue from bear paints. My friend Casey my pattern in this to be furniture business did all the distressing to the drawers herself, I was very impressed. Sometimes your first go at distressing you can go too far or too little....just a tip if you are distressing for the first time I would go too little first. You can always distress more, but its a pain or a total redo if you distress too much. 
I like the look on the drawers, because of the white under the blue showing through here and there. 


I added some new stencils I got....the writing on top, which was at first just in brown, but I though it needed more blue to go with the drawers. The drawers are stenciled with an old stamp looking thing that has a crown in it....that's why I added the crown to the top.

The handles are all original to the desk, but I cleaned and sprayed them brown. The vintage brass they were before probably would have worked, except that I had already primed them thinking that I was going to be painting them an off white, but I think the brown works great. 
       
Then of course to finish it off we painted the inside of the drawers brown and the bottoms will be lined with a beige cool map like scrapbook inch paper, but kinks wasn't coping right so I have to copy from home and hope that ones out right...no refund on prints at home lol. After the insider of the drawers we waxed three times and tada a nice smooth beautifully vintages desk. 
$425
Desk is available through etsy.com/shop/cahleyscouture 
Or you can email us at roguerosereproductions@gmail.com
Pin It!

1 comment: